Gator Knowledge

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Florida State

Before I begin I’d like to philosophize a little about football.

As I imagine most, if not all, of you know I’m from Maine. This week I went home and, as I often do, attended the 94th Thanksgiving Day Game between the two high schools in Portland; Portland High and Deering. My father and I bundled up before leaving because it was 27 degrees and snowing. To a Maineiac that really isn’t that bad, but there was wind, oh boy was there some wind. It was so windy before the game started everyone was huddled around the snack shop to use it as wind break. Once we settled in started to warm up a bit, which was worse because it turned the snow to sleet soaking us in our winter gear (we didn’t have rain gear with us because weathermen are idiots), I had four layers on and my body was wet. Eventually it turned to a downpour (a horizontal downpour thanks to the wind). It was the most miserable weather I’ve ever seen a game in. There were roughly as many players on the field as fans in the stand. The cheerleaders only gave one or two anemic cheers and spent most of their time huddling together. I’m being literal – they hugged and half squatted as a group. They left at the half and didn’t come back, well a handful did late in the fourth. I guess the others chose to quit the squad rather than face the weather. Now I love going to the games down here and “y’all’ do some impressive tailgating (it’s hard to party in -10) and I admit the game lacked artistry (the winning QB was 0 for 1 with a pick), but until you go to a game such as this you don’t know the heart of football. Words will not do it justice, you have to go through a game such as this to understand. In the stands there is a camaraderie between the few fans in recognition that we are all going through this. On the sideline guys where sharing jackets trying to stay warm, when the waterboy ran out on the field NO ONE took water because they didn’t want a cold drink. Yet when it came time to play the guys who rush out onto the field jumping and pumping their teammates up – notice I didn’t say put their helmets on because it was so awful none of them took their helmets off in a futile attempt to protect their heads. When they made a big play, celebrated the same as they would any other time (and then ran to the sideline and curled up in the fetal position, but hey).

Anyway moving on...

QB: Ah Chris, when will you learn? I was once again in the endzone, on the other side this time, row eleven (you know I’ve had great seats, I’ve been in the endzone a bunch, but always in the first tier). If you were there and saw one section repeated try to start the wave that was me (yes, I was stuck with the face-painters). Being that close up again allowed me to see what Leak sees, and I’m right: he is just inaccurate (the other feature was to allow my companion for the game, the raging rebel redneck from South Carolina, to suggest we rush the field). The first pick that bounced of Wynn’s hands was high, the pick FSU dropped was wide, the deep bomb to Chad Jackson they broke up was short, he was way behind Baker on another attempt. To his credit he did hit a few big passes and the Gators moved the ball when they could barely run.
GRADE: B+
FUTURE: Short of bringing in a new guy (we are rumored to be after that running QB Tennessee had last year before they went with Ainge), we have to go with Leak next year (it’s not as though he is going pro). With a year’s experience hopefully Meyer will know how to use him better. I haven’t see anything from Josh Portis to make me think he is ready. Just as an aside ESPN said in an article he’s shown “glimpses” (of what? Fumbleitis?) which just proves there is no substitute for actually being there. I know a certain wise man who thinks he knows more about football than he does (and has the lost bets to me to prove it) who last year blasted Zook for not winning with a team talented enough that ESPN said it would be a contender next (that is this) year. The moral of the story is don’t believe the hype; believe me (Leak for the Heisman, come on).

RB: They were awful. Nothing worked, the few ones they broke were surprises. Early on I was going nuts because we kept trying to go wide and their fast defense ran us down, but we weren’t getting much up the middle either. Not entirely their fault, holes were few, but any time your best running option is Leak that is not pretty. They didn’t do much for us in the passing game either.
GRADE: C-
FUTURE: Everyone, even Latsko the fullback, is coming back. Wynn is the best of the bunch and figures to be the starter. Manson has looked better lately and is the fastest, but in my eyes he is more of a change of pace guy rather than starter. He needs to work on his moves. The guy with the most upside to me is Moore (good mix of skills), but that is just potential for the moment and I don’t see him as ready to start next August.

WR: The reason I felt pretty good going into this game was that their secondary is terrible and I thought our guys would be able to beat them all over the place. We did get some plays, but not as many as I expected. Jackson and Baker made some moves with the ball in their hands. Where was Cornelius? Did someone shoot him and I missed it? Baker may have run the wrong route in the redzone on a third down incompletion.
GRADE: B (have to consider the competition)
FUTURE: Everyone is back, even Baker who the NCAA has in its infinite wisdom decided to allow play for a SIXTH year even though he played in ever game this year. Boateng will be a year older (and he may count as redshirted this year), so there is some talent in the pipe. Everyone, including the returning Caldwell and Tookes, who I see as the fifth receiver, will be a senior next year. This is also another reason to play Leak over Portis.

TE: I bet you know who he is now. Way to go Buckaroo.
GRADE: D+
FUTURE: The Tater is a sophomore so he has two more years to try to make an impression. There may be other tight ends on the roster too.

OL: Easily their best game of the year. Leak had all day for the most part. Maybe the running lanes weren’t there but they dominated in the passing game and at this point I’ll take that and be happy.
GRADE: A-
FUTURE: Boy is this ugly. Four starters, including both tackles and heart of the line Degory are matriculating. Considering that no one from the bench was put in all year despite the struggles we had I am not too sanguine about the depth (Hey! There’s another reason to play Leak!).

DL: Their best game of the year, first time we got consistent pressure all season and that late hit on Weatherford in the first quarter was hysterical. Even with a few guys getting dinged the line played well. FSU was able to break some runs, but not on a regular basis. I was pretty confident once we had a little lead because I knew they weren’t to come back with the pressure we were getting.
GRADE: A
FUTURE: Only Mincey is gone. That is a loss, but with a healthy McDonald again and Moss recovering and growing all off-season the line will all but certainly be better next year. Cohen got plenty of experience this year so he will be a great rotation guy (help keep Moss fresh).

LB: Made some plays, not many, but some. And did not miss any plays.
GRADE: B+
FUTURE: McCullough is gone, but he as the least of the three. Siler will have another year of experience, and he really seemed to grow into his roll late. When he was temporarily knocked out #13, who in internet tells me is Brian Crum, came in so I’ll assume he is the starter. He was not in long enough for me to get a read on him. Looked big...long arms.

DB: I know Weatherford is suspect, but boy did they ever shut their passing game down. Two picks and a solid effort all around.
GRADE: A
FUTURE: Potentially very, very bad. Brown and Herring graduate. The real question is Webb who, while I admit has been beaten a few times, is good enough to go pro. He might very well do so, costing us one of our best. This is not just me talking: Profootball Weekly dropped his name as a potential guy because the senior class of corners is thin. With the money the NFL is throwing at even halfway decent covermen lately I am worried. Don’t get me wrong, he won’t be a first rounder and could use some more seasoning, but don’t be shocked if he leaves – it is hard to turn down that type of money for another year of living in this sorry city (would you turn down several hundred thousand dollars?). If he goes, the only returning guy is the still pretty green (and erratic) Reggie Nelson. Next to him is either Jackson, who lost his job to Nelson or maybe #19 Tony Joiner, who I have noticed making plays on special teams several times. To me if Webb comes back you go with him, if Webb walks then you should start out the year (if not end) with guy who has some experience. Reggie Lewis is a starter at one CB position next year no matter what, not bad as a number two opposite Webb, but shaky as a number one paired with Avery Atkins, or as I like to call him: “Who’s that number four guy?” (at least he has made some plays – including a pick tonight). Let me know if you see a trend yet.

D/ST: We didn’t do much on returns (their punter is laughably terrible by the way), but otherwise it was a great game. That blocked fieldgoal was right in front of me (all our touchdowns were the other end). Props to our best run defender, Marcus Thomas, for getting airborn. Hetland’s 44 yarder ended up not meaning much, but it was big at the time, putting us up three scores in what was a tight game into to fourth quarter. Good rebound off of the 48 yard duck he had shortly before the half.
GRADE: A-
FUTURE: We are losing our kickoff kicker, which is notable only because Hetland’s were so short he lost that job.

Coaching: Oh good lord we will please please please give up on the damn shovel pass! What is it about Meyer and shovel passes? How many times does it need to not work in game before he gives it up? Otherwise I did not notice any bad moves on his part (a blowout will do that for you), nor any genius ones. Judicious use of timeouts.
GRADE: A-/B+ (a big win is a big win)
FUTURE: I’m not overwhelmed with this guy(as you may have guessed), but everyone deserves time to adjust. Next year the hype won’t be there so if the pressure was bothering him that is lessened. He’ll have a years experience in the SEC. The real question is will he try to force his offense on guys not suited for it as he did for most of this year (or will he start benching some of our familiar faces)?

BOTTOM LINE: While we do end the season on a big win, with so few games this weekend (and fewer upsets) and some bad loses behind us we probably don’t climb that high in the rankings – at best we crack the top 15. That doesn’t give us a New Year’s Day game, but hopefully a New Year’s Eve Day bowl. However I’ve heard Spurrier’s boys are the higher profile for bowls, so we may end up on December 30th. At least we avoid the GalleryFurniture.com Bowl (yes boys and girls, that is a real bowl). Merry Christmas. If the bowl is relatively close and relatively cheap I may get together with some people I relatively like and go see it. Hopefully we will play someone relatively weak and end on a relative high note with a relatively nice win.

Later Gator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home