Gator Knowledge

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Oh yeah - that game was a Smelley Garcia

Okay, South Carolina didn’t play well enough to deserve a full write-up - which is too bad because I had front row seats. On the other hand I high-fived several players, including Tebow, although as you might imagine I found it less spiritual than others may have. I certainly seemed less excited than the people behind me dry humping my back to get a high-five too. I felt sorry for all the bozos who left early. Personally I was more interested in noticing how sticky their gloves are – more so than when I played.

The best thing that came out of this game was the phrase “Smelley Garcia” – as in we gave the Cocks a Smelley Garcia. South Carolina was just flat terrible on offense, I really don’t see the advantage of platooning quarterbacks every single play (especially not when they are basically the same guy).

I’m glad South Carolina played so badly I didn’t have to come up with a player or play of the game – it was tough to judge in a universal beatdown. Maybe it was their failed kickoff lateral – less than a quarter down we were up 21-0. Fight went out of them after that, when they set up a fake screen putting two receivers and two lineman out wide the receiver the play was called to ran a route, but the other three – including their star WR, Kenny McKinley – just stood there and did nothing to sell the fake. Brandon Hicks pressured the QB in the endzone so he threw off his back foot for Spikes to pick it for our first TD, then tipped the pass that Ahmad Black picked to set up our second touchdown. He’s gotten good enough we are legitimately five deep at linebacker.

And we have lots of other young talent: Janoris Jenkins apparently has gotten enough of a reputation that the Gamecocks barely tried to test him (although that might have been their general ineptitude – it was tough to tell what they were even trying to do at points). And my new favorite Deonte Thompson is starting to get more and more time with the first team offense – witness the 46 yard bomb. I wonder if Meyer is souring on Riley Cooper? I know I am tired of his disappearing act.

Our offensive line did pretty well opening holes against a defense that we were constantly told was the best we would face all year. They did get some serious push against us on passing downs – although not enough to seriously disrupt us. And we ran for 346 yards. Anyone who is familiar with me knows I don’t drink the Kool-Aid and throw out all kinds hyperbole about how great my team is. Maybe I am too cynical, conservative (NOT POLITICALLY – deal with it when you sit with me), cautious or whatever - just remember that most often I’m right (and it is a pleasant surprise when I am wrong). Anyway my point is that at this point I have to say the Florida Gators are probably the best team in the college football. We have a very real chance of winning out the rest of the way including the championship game. We’re not totally unstoppable, I would take the field over us, but there is no team that I would take in a game against us.

One guy in the stands asked me detailed questions about where I got my hat. Every once in a while I see someone else with my hat we always nod – we’ve all got a little private camaraderie going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home