Gator Knowledge

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Citahell

We’ve gotten so good our games get a little boring. And I mean SEC teams. This game was boring when it started. I had awesome seats – right behind VMI’s bench. Usually those seats go to visiting fans (but I saw only one person wearing their gear the whole day – can’t really blame them, it’s a long drive to watch a I-AA team this is 4-7). It’s easy to see why, we could actually hear there coaches talking to their players. And they certainly got an earful from us. We actually had some creative undergrads here.

Player of the game – whomever decided to give VMI $400,000 to come in for us to pummel.

I refuse to really do this game – but I talk about two of our picks. Before that I will point out we still did not have a ton of passrush and that scrambling QB was able to move around against us. The first pick to Freshman of the Year CB Janoris Jenkins (29) was great because it was right in front of me. He and the receiver both turned back while the ball was in the air coming to them, but the receiver turned and ran up field AWAY FROM THE BALL and Jenkins just waited for the easy pick. On our second interception safety Will Hill (10) came across in mid-air and got a great one hander – right in from of Joe Haden (5) who would have had a much easier pick. I don’t think he was entirely pleased by that. Still Hill showed good hands, maybe we can put him in the lineup ahead of Major Wright (21) next season.

Actually since the computers screwed me out of the SEC Championship Game this might be my last write up so I will look forward to next season.

We’re not losing many guys on defense. The only guy we’ll miss will be Brandon Spikes (51) who I bet will jump to the NFL. He’s a first round pick (some pundits say top 10 guy), you can’t blame him. He’s great, but with Doe (32), Jones (16), Stamper (41), and Hicks (40) LB will still be strong.

On offense if Percy Havin (1) goes pro, which I also expect and think is his smarter move, we will have lost our top two WRs as Murphy (9) is a senior. I expect Deonte Thompson(6) will quickly become our #1 guys, but we may be in trouble. While Murphy had a bunch of drops unless we get a ready to play freshman or transfer our other WRs will be a mix-mash of Riley Cooper (11) who has been a non-entity this year, the juco Carl Moore (16) who drops passes on the rare occasions he plays, and David Nelson (83) who has been here three years and never done anything (14 career catches). That’s all the WRs who had catches this year. All of them. We will still have Aaron Hernandez (81) at TE, who I expect will become a much bigger part of the offense.

However our running game may be in even more trouble. The closest thing we have to a fullback, Kestahn Moore (33 – I know, but you tell me who think is more of a FB) is graduating. As is Tater Salad (#84 in your program, #1 in your heart), who is not a bad blocker at TE. Guard Jim Tartt (63) is leaving, but given how little he has played this year that is survivable (although he is very good) with Carl Johnson (57) and Marcus Gilbert (76) – plus the Pounceys will be a year more experienced. What I am worried about is tackle – which is very important given much we run outside. Both Phil Trautwein (75) and Jason Watkins (77) are seniors. I’m not a huge Trautwein fan, seen him pushed around too much – but Watkins is much better than people realize, especially passblocking. I had not realized Watkins was leaving us, which is worrying. I have no idea who our tackles will be. Gilbert can probably move to right tackle and hold his own, but I don’t know who will protecting Tebow’s blind side. Thankfully our QB is big and we run often.

I don’t think Tebow will go pro – if for no other reason that I don’t think he would be a high pick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home