Gator Knowledge

Monday, January 19, 2009

One final look at the champs

A couple of months ago I compared this year’s squad to the ‘06 team. I did this by contrasting personnel. But the Alligator recent put up some stats so I will briefly look again. I’m only going to look on defense, because on offense it is no contest.

This year’s defense gave up 6 less points for the season (12.9 a game vs. 13.5), but 30 more yards a game (285 vs. 255). They actually gave up three less passing yards a game, but it was against the run were 32 yards a game poorer (105 vs. 73). That stat is particularly telling to me because we had plenty of big leads this year when the other team would be passing to get back into the game and not even trying to run (although you could argue that one the game was over it was our backups who gave up the rushing yards). This year’s team set a record with 26 picks, but the ‘06 team had a very respectable 21. But what really surprised me was that both teams had 34 sacks. I never saw that this year. Carlos Dunlap (8) and Jermaine Cunningham (49) combined for 23 and a half sacks – which floored me when I heard that. But the fact remains we could not get consistent pressure without blitzes.

The stats favor the ‘06 team because they win in the only stat with a substantial gap (run defense), which fits with my memory too. Remember also that defense was under much more pressure than this year’s because this years offense average 44 points a game vs. 30 for the ‘06 team (this year’s squad also averaged 49 more yards a game, 70 more a game on the ground, and threw only a third as many picks – as I said, no contest).

When I did player analysis I came up with that year’s team being much better on the DL and a safety, while not nearly at good at linebacker and corner. DL is the most important spot (although corner is second). Thinking of it another way Reggie Nelson, Jarvis Moss, and Derrick Harvey all ended up being first round picks. You can also argue that Ray McDonald and Brandon Siler were star caliber players. This year outside of Brandon Spikes (51) (who would have been a first round pick had he gone pro by the way – I’m glad, but feel bad for him. If you are a first rounder you go, you don’t play another season of this violent sport for free, certainly not a linebacker), who are the superstuds? Major Wright (21)? I guess, but I don’t trust him in coverage. Ahmed Black (35)? Admittedly it is a young defense and if Janoris Jenkins (29) keeps growing he eventually will be one, but the final verdict is that while this was a great defense the ‘06 D was better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home