Gator Knowledge

Sunday, September 06, 2009

I-AA

I'm not doing a full write-up of this dog of a game. Plenty of starters did not play on defense - and when those that did play were on they field they were mixed and matched so the starting linebackers played behind the starting DL for example.

Here is what I saw:

1) Despite all the off-season hype, Tebow's throwing motion is pretty much the same.

2) While the OL my not be settled, they do have a good attitude. They were pumped for the game. You could really see enthusiasm just from the way they walked onto the field when the offense got the ball. Hopefully that will lead to bulldozing some big holes in the running game.

3) Riley Cooper is going to be a big part of the offense. They went to him often, including three plays in a row at one point. He is big (6'3" 215) and faster than you realize - he caught up to and passed Brandon James on his kick return - but his five catches on Saturday represent a seventh of the seniors' career catches. We are not rotating guys at WR anymore either -(because of no depth?) it was Cooper, Nelson, Thompson every time.

4) On Rainey's 76 yard touchdown he was almost caught from behind. He may have slowed up - I was worried about his hamstring, but he came back in. I still like him, and still think he is injury prone.

5) Demps and Rainey both lined up on the outside in 5-wide sets (not at the same time and not ever time). Usually on the other side of the field than were I was, but when when it was on my side and I could clearly see Rainey just hung out right at the line of scrimmage to be a safety-valve.

On defense I have less to say, we did not look too good, but the coaching staff was basically treating the game as a scrimmage. Still Dunlap played and against a I-AA team (admittedly a one with relatively large guys) he did not get much pressure. Joe Haden also gave up some completions - perhaps because of the missing passrush. Will Hill and big name (#1 linebacker recruit in the nation) freshman linebacker Jelani Jenkins (43) each both got totally juked out once (not the same play).

We'll know a little more after Troy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home